Wednesday, February 29, 2012

To Be Queen: A Novel of the Early Life of Eleanor of Aquitaine by Christy English

To Be Queen is a fascinating story of Eleanor becoming Duchess of Aquitaine in her own right, to becoming Queen of France and in the end divorces King Louis, then goes on to marry Henry of Normandy.

Eleanor is now my favorite person of the middle ages. She was a courageous, strong-willed, and a powerful women. I was pretty amazed how she was able to keep her title and lands during and after her marriage to King Louis. That was uncommon during those times.

I also felt that Eleanor was brilliant how she maneuvered her way out of marriage to King Louis who was a weak King and easily manipulated by the Catholic Church. Although, I felt sorry for King Louis.He was a good man and I believed he truly loved Eleanor.


I'm really glad that Christy wrote about Eleanor's younger years before coming duchess and queen. I feel that it helped give you a clear picture of the women Eleanor would become.

Eleanor certainly beat the odds that were stacked up against her during those times.

I really enjoyed reading this book and I'm looking forward to reading Christy's next book, The Queen's Pawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment