Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wednesday Reviews

 
 
 
Wicked Sense  by  Fabio Bueno
On the Goodreads scale: 4 out of 5 stars.
 
I really enjoyed this book, which was surprising to me. I am usually not a fan of anything that falls within the paranormal genre. This book was definitely a paranormal book that I can enjoy. It is a cute story about two kids, Skye and Drake. Skye is a witch, sent to Seattle to track down the “Singularity”, a super witch. Drake falls for her, and together they try to save Skye’s coven from untold harm. I really appreciated the fact that the book wasn’t 100% supernatural stuff, and what was there was written very well. It was easy for someone like me to really enjoy this book. I liked the story, which I thought was very cute, but not the typical annoying sweetness of most YA books. It took me no time at all to get into this book, and it was a quick read. What helped me to be able to enjoy this book was its setting. It is set in Seattle, not some mystical world. The characters act like everyday people with the exception of a few having magical powers. It wasn’t so far out there that I couldn’t get into it. I also enjoyed that it was written from both Drake and Skye’s perspectives. This is a great YA book – easy to read, and easy to enjoy.
 
By Laurin Hawkins
Layered Pages Review Team Member








Folville’s Law by David Pilling

Folville’s Law is a book set in 13th Century England and describes the advancement of Eustace Folville, an outlaw who grabs power due to the dismal law and order situation in the country. He and his rivalry with John Swale, a knight working for the Despensers are the focus of the series. With a background story of the return of Queen Isabella with Roger Mortimer to England and King Edward’s downfall, this is a fast paced story that manages to hold the reader’s interest constantly.

The book constantly presents the story from different viewpoints with each chapter. But this does not confuse the reader and adds to the charm of the book. The characters are well etched out and have a strong background and give an impression of going somewhere. The author has a way of writing that manages to keep the reader reading.

There are however some weak points in this book. Even though the characters are well developed, I did not empathise with any of them or even develop any strong feelings for them. This might result in some readers not able to sustain interest beyond a certain point in the story.

The book seems well researched and gives a good feel of the times it is based in. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone interested in the period, or this genre.

My rating 3.5 / 5

Kavitha
Layered Pages Review Team Member

 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this lovely review, Laurin! I'm glad you enjoyed the book :)

    ReplyDelete